veski innovation fellowship (Australian)
The veski innovation fellowships (Australian) are awarded annually to Australian expatriates with outstanding skills in the fields of science and innovative technology to bring them back to Victoria.
Successful individuals may receive up to AUD$50,000 per annum for a maximum of three years. These funds must be matched with financial funding [cash] and in-kind contributions from a Victorian host organisation such as an academic or research institution.
The funds are to be used to support the return of the successful applicant to work in Victoria.
- Application process and closing date
- Evaluation and application requirements
- Assessment criteria and selection
- Obligations of winners
Recommendations of the veski selection panel of eligible candidates for the veski innovation fellowships program are made to the veski board of directors.
The funds made available and the duration of the proposed fellowships is determined by the veski board of directors.
Application process and closing date
- Download the veski innovation fellowships (Australian) 2013 application guide (PDF)
- Download the veski innovation fellowships (Australian) 2013 application form (Microsoft Word)
Applications should fully address requirements 1 - 8 in the application form. The veski selection panel will only consider information provided in the application and supporting documentation.
Submissions must be lodged by 5.00pm (AEDT) on Friday, 28 June 2013.
The veski innovation fellowships (Australian) are open to individuals who meet the following criteria in the fields of science and innovative technology specifically relating to biotechnology, biomedical, advanced manufacturing, environmental technologies, or the enabling sciences and technologies.
Eligibility criteria for veski innovation fellowship (Australian):
- Australian citizenship.
- Have worked outside of Australian shores for the past 12 months, and be domiciled outside of Australia at the time their submission is lodged.
- Matched funding must be organised (or be able to be organised) from a host organisation, namely an academic or research institution. The host organisation must be prepared to make an annual financial [cash] commitment [as a minimum this must be matched to the value of the fellowship] and provide details of what their in-kind contribution includes.
veski will call upon the candidate to produce a signed statement of support from the host organisation setting out these arrangements. The candidate, if notified of an offer of an innovation fellowship will have an agreed timeframe to secure and finalise host organisation arrangements. It is anticipated that this will be no more than 30 days from notification.
- Outstanding achievement and capabilities in the fields of science and innovative technology.
- Three referees nominated who can be contacted for reference (Applicants should ensure that each referee has been provided with a copy of their application).
- Applicants are requested to produce a full submission no longer than 22 pages (including publications) demonstrating why they should receive a veski innovation fellowship (Australian); how they would use the fellowship to enhance their research endeavours and what contributions and benefits this would bring to the State of Victoria. The format of this application is set out in the veski innovation fellowship (Australian) application form.
- The veski innovation fellowship (Australian) must be taken up within one year of the fellowship offer.
Applications will be screened for eligibility on the basis of Australian citizenship and expatriate status at the time of application. All eligible applications for the veski innovation fellowships (Australian) will be considered by the veski selection panel.
The veski selection panel will be drawn from the veski board of directors or a sub-committee of the veski board which includes leading members of Victoria’s science, technology and innovation sectors. The veski selection panel may, from time to time, draw advice and seek assistance from appropriate specialists in the fields of application.
The veski selection panel will assess applications against the following key criteria:
- Outstanding achievement in their field;
- International recognition and standing in their peer group;
- Outcomes relative to opportunities;
- Potential to contribute to fostering a culture of innovators across the State of Victoria;
- Potential benefits to Victoria’s knowledge economy;
- Potential to develop relations with an industry sector;
- Ability to contribute to public benefit; and a
- Capacity to disseminate knowledge and develop a skills base across Victoria.
These criteria could be met, for example, by:
- Demonstrating linkages to Victoria’s innovation & knowledge base or technological strengths;
- Plans for collaboration, translation and implementation of their planned research.
The veski selection panel will, in its absolute discretion, select successful candidates for the veski innovation fellowships (Australian) on the basis of the key criteria. The recommendations of the veski selection panel are final and challenges will not be considered.
veski reserves the right not to offer a fellowship(s) in any given year.
Each applicant shall give permission for details contained in the application to be released to the members of the veski selection panel and referees (both those nominated by the applicant and external referees) for the purposes of the selection process.
Successful applicants should note that in the event of an offer and acceptance of a veski innovation fellowship (Australian), a description of their proposed research project will be publicised.
veski’s principle objective is to enhance Victoria’s intellectual capital in science, knowledge and innovation for the benefit of the Victorian public.
As a veski innovation fellowship (Australian) recipient you will be called upon to support achieving this objective by actively joining the veski family, which consists of veski innovation fellows, board members and veski fellows in an ambassadorial role.
The veski innovation fellow is required to participate in veski programs, including the veski inspiring students program and take advantage of opportunities that present through their public role or through the media to acknowledge veski’s support and role in the Victorian community.